What to Do During a Fire
It’s your worst nightmare: Your home is on fire, and you must safely get your family out. What do you need to do to survive?
- Remember Your Escape Plan. Stay low and figure out the safest way to escape. If fire or smoke is blocking your primary escape plan route, make your way out using your secondary exit plan. Don’t forget about door and doorknob checking, the risk of backdraft, closing doors behind you, and getting others out if it’s your responsibility.
- Call 911. Your priority is to get everyone out of the home safely. As soon as you’re out, call 911.
- Cover Vents. If you can’t get out, keep the door closed and cover vents and door cracks with a cloth or blanket. Call 911 and tell the operator where you are. Signal for help outside a window using a cloth or sheet.
- Protect Your Lungs. Cover your mouth and nose with a towel or bandana and do the same for your children to reduce smoke inhalation.
- Stay Out. Once everyone is safely out of the house, stay out. Don’t go back inside for valuables. They’re not worth your life.
SERVPRO of North Arlington is here for all of your restoration needs.