Fire prevention tips
While fires can be started by lightning, wildfire, and other natural causes, you can take many steps to prevent fires from starting in your home.
- Stay in the kitchen when you’re cooking on the stovetop or using the broiler.
- Keep grills at least 10 feet away from the siding or deck of your house.
- Replace any frayed or worn appliance cords.
- Use portable space heaters cautiously. Keep combustible items at least 3 feet away from a space heater, and purchase heaters that have a thermostat control mechanism that will switch the heater off automatically if it falls over.
- Store matches and lighters too high for children to reach or in a locked cabinet.
- Remain in the room while you’re burning a candle, and don’t leave children unattended in a room with a burning candle.
- Clean and inspect wood stove pipes and chimneys each year.
- Make sure a fire in the fireplace is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.
SERVPRO of North Arlington is here for all of your restoration needs.