After a storm
After a hurricane has passed
If you and your family were forced to leave your home – or if it has been severely damaged from the hurricane – wait for authorities to give the all-clear to re-enter. Then:
- Look for flooding in the wake of a hurricane. Rising water can produce dangerous conditions hours or even days later.
- Check for structural damage before going inside.
- If dark, use a flashlight – not matches, a candle or a lighter. An open flame could ignite leaking gas.
- Listen for reports to see when drinking water is safe.
- If there is water damage, consider hiring a professional water damage cleaning service.
- Otherwise, begin your cleanup as soon as possible – washing and disinfecting items that have been touched by floodwater or disposing of items that cannot be saved.
- Wear a mask, gloves and coveralls when cleaning up your property to reduce exposure to hazardous material.
- Use your cell phone or camera to take pictures of the damage that can be used to document your insurance claim.
- Once you’ve gathered necessary documents and evidence of your claim, contact your insurance company or agent.
SERVPRO of North Arlington is here for all of your restoration needs.