Plan Ahead! If a fire breaks out in your home, you may have only a few minutes to get out safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Everyone needs to know what to do and where to go if there is a fire.
- Make a home escape plan. Draw a map of your home showing all doors and windows. Discuss the plan with everyone in your home.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place (like a tree, light pole or mailbox) a safe distance from the home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at night and during the day with everyone in your home, twice a year.
- Practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Close doors behind you as you leave.
IF THE ALARM SOUNDS:
- If the smoke alarm sounds, get out and stay out. Never go back inside for people or pets.
- If you have to escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your way out.
- Call the fire department from outside your home
SERVPRO of North Arlington is here for all of your mitigation needs.